The summer art show season is upon us again. Each summer, tens of thousands of artists have the opportunity to show and sell their creations to the art-loving public. Participating in these shows can be exhilarating, terrifying and exhausting, all at the same time.
Below, we’ve rounded up the ten best tips for artists looking to succeed in Joplin area art shows or festivals.
1. Research shows or art festivals that interest you. Preparation will be your best friend and you honestly can’t plan too much.
2.Follow instructions. Artists are known for breaking the rules, but the place to break them is in your work, not in your professional submissions.
3. Pay attention to your brand when you exhibit. All materials should be created with your brand in mind. It’s all about consistency and authenticity.
4. Get organized and create a checklist to make sure you’re covering all your bases.
5. Don’t over-crowd your booth. Art festivals are overwhelming enough!
6. Think of art fairs as an investment, and crunch numbers to figure out what each festival is worth to you, in terms of dollars.
7. Promote your booth before and during the fair. Be sure to let people know where to find you. Share your excitement with your audience – that includes sharing posts from the art festival page itself!
8. Have a way to collect interested and potential customers’ information! Be sure to follow up on your leads because the best sales often happen after the fair.
9. Stay positive, even when things don’t appear to be going your way.
10. Remember that art fairs are a powerful way to build relationships—both with an audience and with other artists.
Joplin Arts Fest is the Joplin MO area’s leading summer art festival! Join us for the fun each year, and be sure to submit your artist applications early.